Wow, today you, my baby boy, are celebrating your 10th birthday. If I’ve heard it once, I’ve heard it a million times: enjoy the early years because they pass in the blink of an eye. I now understand.
10 years — a whole decade — a half generation. Even though I’m the parent and teacher of all things right and wrong for you, these past 10 years I’ve been just as much your student as you mine. Over the past 10 years I have learned so much more about myself, through your eyes, and something tells me you have so much more to teach me in the years to come.
10 Things I’ve Learned From You
While it’s impossible to sum up all the things you’ve taught me over the past 10 years, here’s a condensed list of some of my favorites:
- French fries are a food group.
- The New York City subway system is a true adventure.
- Laughing until you pee your pants is a good thing.
- SpongeBob Squarepants actually teaches life lessons, despite his annoying laugh.
- Little eyes and ears see and hear everything – and little mouths repeat most things too.
- Potty humor and fart jokes really are funny.
- You’ve got your father’s eyes and your mother’s mouth (and not just my smile).
- I still don’t like math, especially Geometry.
- Good things do come to those who wait — it just takes longer for some.
- Loving someone unconditionally is a powerful and intense feeling.
My Birthday Wishes For You
I’m so excited to see what the future holds for you. You’re so full of life with a never-ending curiosity and an insatiable thirst for knowledge, especially for all things technology. This will lead you to great things in life – and hopefully the creation of the next million-dollar app.
My birthday wishes for you today — and for many years to come — are to always believe you can do great things in your life and never give up on yourself, no matter what. You have so many special gifts and your infectious smile and awesome personality brings such joy to so many people.
As parents, we tend to think we’ll have a certain kind of kid but the truth: that kid doesn’t exist. And thank goodness for that! Ten years ago (after 20 long hours of labor) you came busting into my life, and I wouldn’t change you, or these past 10 years, for anything in the world. I thank G-d every day that you came into my life and I’m so blessed and proud to be your mom.
Happy 10th Birthday, my baby boy. And many, many more. I love you to the moon and back – and back again, and with all my heart.
xoxo – Mom
Want more Judy-isms?
Drop your email below to get on the list!